Friday, February 10, 2012

Homemade Bread

As part of my new-found freedom from being unemployed (which I am loving) I have developed a desire to become a little more self-sufficient and healthier. This started with wanting to learn to make homemade bread after we moved. I wanted to save money and eat real food with no preservatives or other things I can't identify. So my helpful mother gave me several recipes and let me use her wheat grinder to grind some of my wheat from my food storage. So using my own whole wheat floor I'm made bread a few times with great success!

The first time I made white bread because it's the easiest. I loved it. I think I had bread for lunch that day...

Here's before and after baking:



The next week I made plain whole wheat bread (not an ounce of white floor in it). It was AMAZING! Aaron is thrilled with my bread-making (I think he had bread for dinner that day)!

This recipe made so much dough my Kitchen Aid had a hard time containing it all. And when it rose, it overflowed the bowl! But having lots means I can share or freeze some.

Again, before and after baking:



This week I made oatmeal whole wheat. You basically make oatmeal with oats and water, then add all the bread ingredients. It's super hearty. It took twice as long to rise and cook and only made one loaf but I like it!

Most of the oats on top fell off after it baked and I took it out of the pan, so I won't do that again.




I'd like to point out how much cheaper this is: I have a 45 lbs bucket of hard red wheat that I bought for $19. I can probably make bread from that for 6 months, I'm guessing. Or I could go to the store and buy 5-8 loaves of bread for $19. Cheaper, healthier, and yummier!

No comments:

Post a Comment