Monday, May 31, 2010

Learning to drive stick

In preparation for our upcoming adventure, I decided it was finally time I learn to drive a manual transmission. I've always wanted to learn, but never had access to a car with stick. So Aaron's good friend loaned us his car and Aaron taught me how to drive.

I had a really hard time getting it into first gear. The clutch is my enemy--it takes lots of control to find the right spot and not stall the car (which involves lots of lurching and scares me). Aaron's a great instructor: he was patient and didn't let me get frustrated (much). I finally got the hang of it after starting and stopping every 10 feet.

Once I got into first gear, it was easy (not always smooth, though). I even drove around busy streets and the freeway and did didn't stall for a long time until I was almost home. I was trying to turn onto 9th East in Provo with lots of traffic coming and behind me and I guess I got cocky and stalled it (half way out in the intersection). And I can't get it to go again, and people are honking and I'm panicking. I finally let it roll to the side so people can go around me and turn on my flashers while I beat the steering wheel and yell at the stupid car while trying to get it back into first gear. Then this truck pulls over and the guy runs over to me, "Are you okay?" he asks. "Yes I'm just learning to drive stick [and still suck at it!]" "Oh, that's all, okay good luck" and thankfully leaves. I then manage to get it going again.

And everything is fine until I get to the driveway of the apartment complex to return the car and stall it again. This time I cannot get it to go again. And to make it even more embarrassing, there's two guys on the porch next door watching me. After a dozen tries, I give up and let Aaron park the dang car. I was done.

So basically, I can drive stick. If I focus. And am not stressed by traffic or people watching. ;) I don't understand how people say that its FUN, though. Oh well, I'm going to get good at it in our future endeavors.

1 comment:

  1. LOL that is too funny!!! Well if it will make you feel better you have much better luck than I do at driving stick!!!! Its good that you have a patient teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete